As Coco Chanel famously said, “After 40, nobody is young but one can be irresistible at any age”. As we get older, breaking up with old makeup routines and embracing new ones can give your face a new lease of life. At INIKA, we’re all about embracing the signs of ageing. It’s not about covering your lines and wrinkles, it’s all about showing off your best assets. After all, beauty is ageless. To help you feel beautiful at any age, we gathered our best makeup tips for mature skin.
As we age, our skin changes - so our makeup routine needs to change too. Makeup can sink into lines or wrinkles, which accentuates them and can make us look older. Rather than trying to disguise our ageing, we can adapt our skincare and makeup routine to help us embrace these new changes.
Why do we need to treat makeup on mature skin differently?
How can we improve application on mature skin?As our skin ages, there are a few steps that we can take to improve the application of our makeup and skincare products. For starters, choosing products with natural ingredients and makeup with skincare benefits will ensure that your skin is receiving the added nourishment it needs to look and feel its best. Here are 3 non-negotiables to help mature skin look amazing.
1. MoisturiseBefore you apply any makeup, use a hydrating, lightweight moisturiser on clean skin. Using a decent moisturiser for ageing skin and eye cream will provide a good base foundation for your makeup application. Hydrating the skin and eye area reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, allowing products to blend more easily for a more flawless finish.
2. PrimerUsing a primer on your skin before applying your makeup is also essential. A good primer helps to create even skin tone, allows for your foundation to glide on easily and ensure it stays put for longer. A hydrating foundation for ageing skin will also give you a natural glow, helping to keep your skin nourished and dewy.
3. Less is moreUsing too much product can have the opposite effect to what we’re looking for. Caking on layers and layers of makeup can often end up making us look older than our years. Rather, look for products with buildable coverage and more pigment for a natural finish that enhances your best features.
3 steps for a youthful, flawless look for mature skin:
1. Create a glowing baseKnowing how to make a glowing makeup base is your key to success. The best makeup primer for mature skin is Radiant Glow Veil. It provides a flawless foundation base and will give dimension to your skin - making it look plumper and youthful. Its long-lasting formula makes it the perfect base to wear throughout the day. For a natural visible glow and moisturised skin, this magical product is a primer, illuminisor and moisturiser all in one.
2. Achieve naturally flawless, long-lasting coverageFinding the right foundation is an important step when trying to achieve flawless skin. Some can make you look older than your years because the pigment falls into fine lines and splits apart during the day. Rather, look for a highly moisturising, buildable foundation that will plump and hydrate the skin, and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Opt for a foundation that suits your makeup style: for a dewy foundation for mature skin, try the Certified Organic Liquid Foundation or if you prefer a matte finish the Loose Mineral Foundation SPF25 provides full matte foundation coverage for mature skin, with the added bonus of SPF protection.
3. Accentuate the lips & cheeksA light application of a cream blush on the cheeks and a pop of colour on your lips works wonders for mature skin. Use a nourishing lip and cheek colour to help define and hydrate your face. The Natural & Organic Lip & Cheek Cream helps to create a ‘just pinched’ youthful look that brightens the face, adding a little colour to the skin.
As we age, we tend to lose pigmentation in our lips. Applying a natural hint of colour to dry lips will instantly add a subtle flush and extra moisture. We’ve pulled together some tips on how to apply lip and cheek tint perfectly on our blog.
Adapting our beauty routine is all about finding the right skin care techniques and beauty products that help us look and feel our best. Following a dedicated skin-care routine - cleansing, moisturizing, and exfoliating - is an essential strategy for achieving a healthy complexion, especially over time.